A NEIGHBORHOOD LIKE NO OTHER
Welcome to the Live-Work-Create District
Back in 1998, artist Surel Mitchell built a home in Garden City where she could create and share her art. As a member of the city’s planning and zoning and inaugural arts commissions, she advocated for a live-work-create district where other people could build follow through on their dreams.
Thanks to her efforts, the Garden City Live-Work-Create District was established between 32nd and 37th streets on both sides of Chinden Boulevard. After Surel passed away in 2011, the district was renamed in her honor. The home that inspired the district is now the non-profit artist-in-residence program and gallery Surel’s Place.
Here’s what you’ll discover in the Surel Mitchell Live-Work-Create District:
- The Greenbelt
- The Boise River and Whitewater Park
- Restaurants, wineries, and breweries, including Telaya and Coiled Wineries and Western Collective Brewery tasting rooms, The Yardarm (seasonal), Caffé Luciano’s, The Sandbar at the Riverside (seasonal), The Stagecoach, The Ranch Club, and Push and Pour Coffee.
- The Riverside Hotel
- The Visual Arts Collective (VAC)
- Audio Lab Recording Studio
- Art studios and galleries including Surel’s Place, Studio 1212, Zion Art Glass, Door #3 Collaborative Workshop, and many, many individual artist studios.